[Photo from Delicious As It Looks]
It’s Halloween today, so obviously I have to post a sweet treat for you guys! But since I’m sneaky, I’m posting a treat that has very little added sugar 🙂 You love me.
So, if you’ve got a Halloween party to attend tonight (like me), and you’ve waited until the last minute to decide what to bring (like me), then make these yummy truffle balls. And then, leave me a comment and tell me how you like them!
P.S. This recipe is vegan if you use a vegan protein powder, and I wrote “paleoish” because inevitably there will be food police who say that chocolate is certainly not paleo. So, if you’re allowed to have chocolate, then try these bad boys!
Dark Chocolate Coconut Truffles [Vegan] [Paleoish]
Recipe courtesy of Amanda Batty on the Gnarly Nutrition blog
Makes 12 balls
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 4 scoops Gnarly Vicious Vanilla Whey Protein (or other protein powder of choice)
- Content of 1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped)
- 1/4 tsp kosher sea salt, finely ground
- 1 tsp. Madagascar bourbon Vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp orange oil (optional)
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 oz dark chocolate 72% cacao or higher (like Eating Evolved or Enjoy Life)
- 1 Tbsp unrefined, expeller pressed, organic coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp orange oil (optional)
- Mix coconut flour, protein powder, salt and vanilla bean seeds together with a whisk.
- Combine until even, then add water until a semi-sticky dough begins to form. Set aside.
- In a separate, small microwave-safe container, melt coconut oil.
- Add orange oil and vanilla extract to melted coconut oil, then pour slowly over ‘dough’ in bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of ‘dough’, then knead all dry ingredients with hands until well combined.
- Form into 12 small balls and place on parchment-lined sheet or plate. Set aside.
- In a small, microwave safe glass bowl, combine chocolate and oils. In 30-second intervals, microwave until chocolate is soft. DO NOT OVERHEAT (chocolate will detemper and be basically ruined).
- With a silicone spatula, mix oils and chocolate together until completely smooth and glossy.
- Drop protein truffle balls into chocolate mixture, coat and place back on parchment.
- Chill truffles in freezer until chocolate is solid, or enjoy while warm and messy.