Sending temps are finally here!! At least that’s what people keep telling me. I have yet to discover the secret behind functioning while numb, so these are far from my sending temps.
While you crazy kids go bouldering with your numb fingers, I’ll be training indoors, snuggling up inside a million blankets and making some of this Savory Butternut Squash Soup.
I made this yesterday, and it’s SO good that I made it twice. This is the perfect soup to enjoy on a freezing cold day, so make sure you try it!
Savory Butternut Squash Soup [Vegan] [Paleo]
Recipe from Whole Foods Market
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or rosemary)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add carrot, celery and onion.
- Cook until vegetables have begun to soften and onion turns translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée soup. Alternatively, let the soup cool slightly and carefully purée in batches in an upright blender.
Apple, Gorgonzola and Almond Butternut Soup
Stir 1 cup unsweetened applesauce into puréed soup. Garnish each serving with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, toasted almonds, a few slices of thinly sliced apple and a small sprig of fresh thyme.
Thai-style Butternut Soup
Stir a tablespoon of red curry paste and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger into carrot, celery and onion mixture. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk with broth. Purée soup and garnish each serving with toasted coconut flakes and chopped fresh cilantro.
Southwestern-style Butternut Soup
Add a tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce to carrot, celery and onion mixture. Garnish soup with crumbled queso fresco, toasted pumpkin seeds and chopped fresh cilantro.