If you feel like you don’t have enough time to cook, then you might want to invest in a slow cooker. A slow cooker will allow you to toss ingredients into a pot and leave it to cook for 6-10 hours unattended, depending on the recipe.
These recipes are perfect for cooking a warm breakfast overnight or cooking a nice meal for dinner while you’re at work. Whatever your use for a slow cooker, they can definitely come in handy when you’re crunched for time.
Warning: Slow cookers are somewhat addicting, and you might disown all other kitchenware as a result. I would like to be held blameless if this happens to you 😉
If you have a slow cooker, you can find all kinds of recipes online to try. Some are very involved and time-consuming, and others just require throwing a bunch of ingredients into a pot, like this one. Don’t be afraid to keep searching until you find a recipe with the perfect balance between simplicity and great flavor.
For those of you interested in Paleo, check out the awesome cookbook from the good people at PaleoGrubs.com. Their latest cookbook has over 470 paleo recipes, a 10-week meal plan, and slow cooker recipes. Definitely worth checking out!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup [Paleo]
Recipe and photo courtesy of Rebecca Bohl from PaleoGrubs.com
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Add the chicken to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, and garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and chicken stock over the top.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Use a fork to shred the chicken before serving.
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado.
Note: You can freeze leftover soup for a rainy day if cooking for one or two people